I’ve served for a period of time in a situation that unavoidably required me to juggle multiple roles. What follows is what I’ve learned in this season that is joyfully coming to a close:
- I am more capable than I thought.
- I am now more efficient with the work day.
- I have a firm line between home and work.
- A spotless house is over-rated; a clean house will do.
Things that helped me get through it with my health and sanity intact. I didn’t get all of these done all the time, but did most of the time.
- Take a Sabbath weekly and guard it carefully.
- Do something fun every week!
- Don’t take work home.
- You won’t be fully present for the work or for your family/house-mates.
- Take short breaks every day to stretch, move around and see a different space
- You will get some refreshing in those moments.
- Notice the people around you and look them in the eyes when talking with them.
- Value is given and trust maintained in these exchanges.
- Realize you are not at your best emotionally .
- You will need to give yourself grace and ask forgiveness more often.
- Stay connected to your friends – the ones who speak life into you.
What have you learned in seasons of high stress?